To file for divorce in British Columbia, the following criteria must be met:
- At least one of the spouses must have habitually lived in British Columbia for at least one full year, prior to the commencement of divorce proceedings.
- You must be living separate lives at the time the divorce action is started.
- Filing jointly (if possible) is easier, quicker, less adversarial, and less expensive than filing a sole action. (Requires the full cooperation of both spouses.)
- Divorce actions on the grounds of separation typically take from 2 to 4 months to conclude but it is not necessary to wait until one year of separation to begin the prices.
- A copy of: your original marriage certificate or registration of your marriage.
- If applicable, a copy of all Court Orders, Separation Agreements, and any other written arrangements which pertain to the marriage or any children of the marriage.
- If you have only an oral agreement, please describe the terms and provide the date of the agreement.